Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mexico City Traffic/Driving


Mexico City driving is the worst I've ever seen in my life. I seriously believe if you can drive here you can drive anywhere. I mean there is almost no respect for red lights. People block intersections because they dont want to be stuck at a red light. Some parts of the highway dont have specific lanes. I dont even know how people can tell how some roads are one way or not. People are also definitely not afraid to use their horn here. But what drives me crazy is the fact that people will beep it for no good reason when they are like deep in traffic. I mean really what is that gonna do?
And Mexico City has these "round a bouts" that make cringe. And I cant believe how close some cars go next to each other. You really need to know the dimensions of your car here. What also shocks me is that people hop on buses here when they are moving. Its NUTS!! I mean somehow people are used to this crazy way of driving in this chaos and surprisingly have not see a single accident. Traffic and crazy driving is just a part of everyday life for Chilangos here. (Chilango= person who lives in Mexico City) But never ever call someone that, useless you really know them on a personal level.
This is a very common thing in Mexico wherever there is a lot of traffic. But what is also weird for me is people selling any random thing while you are waiting for the light to turn green. I mean it can be anything from a lantern, to a sparkly ball, to food, water, or a pump for your water. They also have people doing juggling acts, mime acts, or any other sort of trick at busy traffic lights for tips. What is the weirdest is the people that are mimes that pretend to wash your window? Why would I pay someone to pretend wash my window?? haha My a lot of times moms bring their babies or just young kids will be doing some kind of act for money its sad. But you will rarely see a Mexican begging for money for just the sake of begging.

No comments:

Post a Comment